The Dawson Creek Curling Club has existed in one form or another since at least 1931 when the first indoor (one-sheet) facility was built in Dawson Creek. Curling occurred in the Dawson Creek trading area even before 1931 although the history records are limited.
Dawson Creek’s population exploded in 1942. Through its affiliation with the Dawson Creek Athletic Association, a larger curling facility (three sheets) was built shortly after World War II within a relocated army warehouse. Soon after, another three sheets were added to this facility. In 1956, a new wooden eight-sheet curling rink was built on the site of the current facility.
Lobby and lounge/banquet hall additions were made in 1985. In 1989, a refrigerated cement ice slab was first added to the former sand surface. In 1999, a new steel structure replaced the former wooden building and was affixed to the 1985 additions (lounge/lobby) to create the current structure.
Am ammonia leak in Nov. 2014 forced the closure of the facility and a lost curling season. In 2015, the refrigeration plant (shared with a next door arena) was completely rebuilt into a modern freon facility. In 2017, the original cement pad and brine line infrastructure was demolished and replaced with a new state-of-the-art system, including sub-refrigeration heat lines to minimize the risk of frost heaving. Over $4.5M has been invested in capital improvements since 2015.
The Dawson Creek Curling Club was first incorporated as a Society, under Certificate Number S-13818, in British Columbia on April 6, 1978. At that time, it was governed by a constitution identifying bylaws and procedures specific to membership, meetings, election of directors and officers, duties of officers, borrowing, auditing, and the amendment of such bylaws. An elected body of 9-12 Directors govern the society. Officers include the President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer. This society was struck from the register and dissolved on May 6, 1994.
On May 10, 1999, the Dawson Creek Curling Club was restored under Certificate of Restoration Number S-13818 and accordance with an order under s.71 of the BC Society Act. A resolution amending the purpose of the society and defining the society as non-profit was passed on April 9, 2001 and filed with the BC Registrar on May 7, 2001.
The constitution of the Dawson Creek Curling Club remained relatively unchanged, until May 2017, when a new and modern Constitution and Bylaws were approved.